I wasn’t planning to do a post about breakfast but this one turned out to be quite nice this morning and quick to make so I thought I would share it. I made it with some leftover ingredients I had after I made meatballs last night (I will share that recipe later).
SOFT POACHED EGGS WITH SPINACH AND TOMATO SALSA
Ingredients (for two):
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp fresh coriander
2 handfuls spinach
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, paprika, chilli powder, water and some seasoning to a small saucepan and allow to simmer over a low heat for 3 minutes. If the tomatoes taste a little bitter, add a pinch of caster sugar.
- In the meantime, poach the eggs. For details on poaching eggs, follow the “In the Kitchen” link above.
- Add the spinach to the tomato salsa and allow to wilt.
- Finally, add the coriander. Check the seasoning again and adjust to taste.
- Spoon the spinach and tomato salsa on the bottom of the plate.
- Drain the eggs and pat off any excess water with some kitchen roll being careful not to burst the egg yolks. Place the eggs on top of the salsa.
- Finish with a sprinkle of maldon salt and coarsely ground black pepper.
- Serve with some chunky wholemeal bread to mop up the sauce.
A healthy and colourful start to a Saturday.