A favourite brunch dish in London is toast and avocado. I had never really thought of this as a breakfast but from a nutritional perspective, you can see the appeal. It is a very satisfying start to the day being filled with lots of slow-releasing energy.
I love the silky smooth texture of avocados but I think a whole avocado on toast might be a bit too much. This recipe introduces some spice to the avocado to add some extra flavour. The egg adds protein and the bright orange runny yolk creates a rich sauce which soaks into the bread.
This dish would be equally as nice with scrambled eggs. You can also use any bread you like. I prefer wholemeal but sourdough or any crusty bread would work well.
CHUNKY WHOLEMEAL BREAD TOPPED WITH CHILLI AVOCADO AND A FRIED EGG
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 ripe avocados, peeled, de-stoned and quartered
1 lemon, zest and juice
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
8 free-range eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 thick slices bread
Salt and pepper
- Mix the lemon zest, juice and chilli flakes with a good pinch of salt and pepper. You can either cut the avocado into slices lengthways or fan the avocados by cutting slices lengthways but stopping about 1 cm from the top before fanning the slices out. Lay the avocado on a plate and top with the lemon and chilli mixture, holding back 2 – 3 teaspoons for assembling the dish.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and fry for about 3 minutes until cooked. If the top of the eggs still look a little uncooked, pop them under the grill for 1 – 2 minutes to finish them off. Keep an eye on them to make sure that you don’t over cook the yolk.
- In the meantime, grill the bread for about 1 minute on each side.
- Place 2 pieces of warm bread on a plate.
- Top with an avocado fan or some avocado slices and drizzle with the remaining lemon and chilli mixture.
- Place a fried egg on top of each piece of bread and avocado and sprinkle with a little extra salt and pepper.
Serve immediately. Burst the egg yolk and watch the beautiful bright orange yolk drip over the avocado. Delicious!