These are great chicken burgers and not terribly unhealthy. They are ideal if you are trying to be good but want a treat on a Friday or Saturday night. They are also quick to make which makes them perfect weekend food.
The breadcrumbs create a lovely crunch to the moist chicken breast. The tarragon adds some nice flavour whilst the lemon zest and juice pack a punch against the peppery rocket. The soft crisp spicy potato wedges top it all off.
You will need to cook the wedges in the oven and the chicken burgers under the grill. If like me you don’t have two separate ovens then you will need to bake the wedges first and then the grill chicken burgers. When the wedges are ready and it is time to grill the chicken, simply move the baking tray with the wedges to the bottom of the oven to keep them warm while you cook the chicken.
CRISPY LEMON AND TARRAGON BURGERS WITH SPICY POTATO WEDGES
Ingredients (serves 2):
For the wedges:
4 large potatoes, cut into eighths
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
Salt and pepper
For the burgers:
2 chicken breasts
8 – 10 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
4 – 6 tablespoons plain flour
1 large free-range egg
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
6 tablespoons mayonaise
2 ciabatta rolls
For the wedges:
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Par-boil the potatoes over a medium – high heat for about 5 – 10 minutes depending on the size of the wedges. They should be tender but not crumbly and still hold their shape. You can cook the potatoes in the oven without boiling them but I did this for quickness. Drain the potatoes and place on a baking tray.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil and then sprinkle with the spices, chilli flakes and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with your hands to make sure they are well coated. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
For the chicken burgers:
- Once the potatoes are ready, heat the grill to high and move the potatoes to the bottom of the oven to keep warm. Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of cling film and hit with a rolling pin to flatten out. This will make them cook quicker and evenly.
- Beat the egg and the mustard together in a shallow bowl. Season the flour and place in a separate shallow bowl or a plate. Place the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl or on a plate, add the tarragon and lemon zest and mix to make sure it is evenly distributed. Arrange all three bowls/plates in a line in this order. Then take a chicken breast and dip in the flour. Shake off any excess flour and then dip the chicken breasts in the egg and mustard mixture. Make sure the chicken breast has been completely coated and allow any extra egg to drip off. Finally, place the chicken breasts in the bread crumbs, making sure the chicken is completely covered in the breadcrumbs. Put the coated chicken breasts under the grill for about 10 minutes, turning once. The outside should be golden and the chicken cooked through.
- While cooking, mix together the lemon juice and mayonnaise.
- Half the ciabatta rolls and heat under the grill for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Spread the bottom half of the roll with some lemon mayonnaise. Place the crispy chicken breast on top. Add some more lemon mayonnaise. Top with a handful of rocket and the ciabatta bun.
- Serve with the potato wedges and any leftover lemon mayonnaise.